1. His Excellency Joseph KABILA KABANGE, President of the Democratic Republic of Congo, received His Excellency Cyril RAMAPHOSA, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chair of SADC, on a working visit to Kinshasa on Friday 10 August 2018.
2. The visit is part of President Ramaphosa’s courtesy call to SADC member States.
3. The Heads of State exchanged views mainly on the following three points: bilateral relations between the two countries, the evolution of the political, electoral and security situation in the DRC as well as various issues of regional interest.
4. The two Heads of State ackowledged the excellent bilateral cooperation between the two countries within the context of the binational commission. In this regard the two leaders directed their Ministers and officials to ensure that all the signed agreements between the two countries are fully implemented for the mutual benefit of their respective countries and peoples.
H.E. JOSEPH KABILA
5. The two Heads of State noted that the political and security situation is calm throughout the national territory of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and took note of the significant progress made in the ongoing electoral process in the country, with regard to the commitments made in accordance with the electoral calendar published on 5 November 2017 by the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI) and providing for the organization of presidential, legislative and provincial elections at the end this year.
6. The two Heads of State noted, among other things, the continued financing of the electoral process by the Congolese Government, which has just completed the stage of submitting candidatures for the presidential, legislative and provincial elections, in compliance with the
constitutional rules and national laws of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
7. President Ramaphosa commended President Joseph Kabila for honouring the Congolese Constitution as promised to the Nation.
8. The two Heads of State noted the reciprocal removal of visas requirements by the Congolese and South African Governments for holders of diplomatic and service passports of the two countries. They also reaffirmed the need to hold the 11th Ordinary session of the binational Commission between the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Republic of South Africa.
9. His Excellency Joseph KABILA KABANGE took the opportunity tocongratulate His Excellency Cyril RAMAPHOSA for the election ofSouth Africa as a non-permanent member of the United NationsSecurity Council for the 2019-2020 year.
10. The two Heads of State noted with great appreciation, that theSADC region enjoys peace and stability with the exception of a few challenges which the region is duly attending to.
11. The two Heads of State welcomed the recommendations of the BRICS Summit, held in Johannesburg, South Africa, on 25 July 2018, during which fruitful exchanges relevant to the economic life of SADC Member States took place. The two Heads of State reaffirmed their common position on the need to promote multilateralism and South- South cooperation.
12. The two Heads of State noted that the 38th ordinanry SADC Summit will be held in Windhoek, Namibia from the 16th to the 18th of August. They expressed their determination to attend the Summit.
13. At the end of this working visit, His Excellency Cyril RAMAPHOSA, President of the Republic of South Africa and Chair of SADC, expressed to His Excellency Joseph KABILA KABANGE, His Congolese Counterpart, to the people and Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo, his sincere appreciation and gratitude for the warm, friendly and fraternal welcome and hospitality extended tohim and his delegation.
The two Heads of State agreed to meet very soon, at a date and place to be determined by mutual agreement through diplomatic channels.