Press "Enter" to skip to content

Anglophones hold their breath as arrested leaders are expected in court today

Yaoundé (National Times)-Anglophone Cameroonians in and out of the country have been put on tenterhooks, following information that the arrested leaders of Ambazonia will appear in court today, Thursday, November 1, 2018.

This information was made public by the Lead Counsel of the arrested Ambazonia leaders, Barrister John Nsoh Fru, during an Ambazonia Conference that held in North America recently.

Barrister Nsoh Fru was reacting to rumours which were making the rounds that Sesseku Julius Ayuk Tabe and members of his Government, who were arrested in Abuja, Nigeria on January 5, have been executed by the Government of Cameroon.

The rumours emerged after the officials at the Yaoundé Gendarmerie Headquarter, where the Anglophone leaders are detained, refused the family members of the detainees from visiting them.

But Barrister Fru Nsoh was very categorical in his declaration that: “I saw Sesseku Ayuk Tabe. I want to announce that all of them are alive, we have not had the opportunity to work together because the regime has prevented me and my team to work,” he said.

He reiterated that his clients will appear in court on November 1 for the Habeas Corpus case that was filed for their immediate release.

According to him, “the Magistrate has given firm instructions that Sesseku and others be brought before the bar on November 1. Their non-appearance during the last session of the case was as a result of bad faith from the detaining officers who refused to bring them to court even after being served a production warrant by the Magistrate,” he said.

Meanwhile, many Anglophones are looking to seeing their leaders appear in court to ascertain that they are still alive. If the Anglophone leaders failed to appear in court, it will further fuel the rumours that they must have been killed by the Government

It would be recalled that Sesseku Ayuk Tabe and others were arrested on January 5 during a meeting at Nera Hotels in Abuja, Nigeria.

They were later extradited to Yaoundé together with some 37 other Anglophones arrested in Taraba State. For seven months, they were held incommunicado until their case was first brought up on August 30 in their absence.

It was later dismissed before the Lawyers of the detainees filed for an appeal which was heard on October 11. Despite the request of their lawyers that the detainees should be brought to court to ascertain that they are alive and in good health, the security officers refused to grant the lawyers’ request.


Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: