Yaounde (National Times)-Cameroon’s Territorial Administration Minister Paul Nji Atanga says separatists’ fighters operating across the restive North West and South West Regions still have a chance to disarm, become born again Cameroonians in line with president Biya’s appeal.
Minister Atanga echoed the renewed appeal Thursday March 14 in Yaounde shortly after briefing representatives of different diplomatic representations in Cameroon on actions the government has been implementing to arrest the armed conflict in the two English speaking Regions.
Facing reporters after the briefing, the minister asserted that, President Biya’s appeal for the separatists fighters to lay down arms and return to living normal lives within the republic has not changed.
According to Minister Atanga Nji, nobody will harm any separatists’ fighter who drops his arms and decides to return into the republic of Cameroon. The interior boss said, president Biya’s instructions in that light have not change and so the fighters should respond.
The minister cited the putting in place of the national Disarmament, Demobilisation and reintegration commission as already being afoot to help receive and train ex-separatists fighters for a return to normal life.
Thursday’s briefing in Yaounde comes in the wake of repeated international pressure on the Biya regime over its handling of the armed conflict in the two English speaking regions.
Last week, the European Union and the United States Under-Secretary of State for African Affairs Nagy Tibor in particular said , the government was not doing enough to arrest the situation.
Irrespective of the continuous appeal from Government, there seems to be mistrust between both parties in the armed conflict as clashes pitting security forces and suspected separatists fighters continue unendingly in the said zones with human casualties daily.