Press "Enter" to skip to content

FCFA 50 million Lebialem Community Radio ransacked, looted

Gunmen suspected to be members of a separatists’ group have destroyed FCFA 50 million Alou Community Radio, Lebialem Division of the South West Region of Cameroon.

The Station Manager of the community broadcast facility, Jude Njinjuh, confirmed news of the attack, but could not ascertain the identity of those who ransacked the radio.

Lebialem FM 91.7

The Manager said the attack happened around August 28.He maintained that unknown men stormed the radio and conducted the operation.

Njinjuh in an exclusive chat with The National Times said broadcast machines were carted away following the attack.

The Manager said the radio’s mixer, stabilizer, computers and other equipment remain unaccounted for.

According to him, the attack is a great loss to the Sub-division and Lebialem Division at large. He said the radio covered the information gap which the Lebialem people have due to the nature of the terrain.

Though the Manager was cautious in his remarks, another source confirmed to The National Times that the separatists’ group carried out the attack.

The same source said gunmen also ransacked the office of the Divisional Officer (DO) of Alou. Our source said materials that were stored at the administrative unit ahead of the October 7elections suffered damages.

Alou Community Radio saw the light of day less than one year ago. It is a joint venture of the Council and the National Community Driven Development Programme (PNDP).

Before the attack, Council officials and other civil servants had deserted Alou.

The Manager of the radio disclosed that the facility had been under lock and key since the Anglophone Crisis in Cameroon went deadly.

At the moment, narratives are emerging of the gunmen promising to return the property to the Council when the Crisis ends. They are said to be claiming that they carried the radio equipment to preserve and protect it from hoodlums.

©THE NATIONAL TIMES NEWS